Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
I’ve talked about up to now that we don’t use microwaves, however I do make one exception. We make home made reusable DIY heating pads which might be simply heated within the microwave. Most of my microwave considerations (primarily that they make meals style horrible) don’t matter for one thing we aren’t consuming. So I don’t thoughts utilizing one for a home made heating pad.
DIY Heating Pads
Earlier than I had children, I used an electrical heating blanket. As soon as I conceived my first baby, I observed the warning label cautioned towards use whereas pregnant. There have been additionally warnings of the potential for burns, electrical shock, and fires. Electrical heating pads carry lots of the identical warnings.
I needed to discover a pure various. In faculty, I typically used this sizzling/chilly pack that may very well be heated in a microwave or put within the freezer. That one lastly bit the mud after faculty, however fortunately, my mother discovered a home made model that we’ve been utilizing ever since.
Her home made rice warmth pack is tremendous easy to make and works splendidly. Simply a few minutes within the microwave, and so they keep heat for some much-needed warmth remedy.
How We Use These
I now have a few these, and all of my youngsters have one which they made with my mother. We use them on a regular basis, however a few of my favourite makes use of have been:
- In labor: I had horrible again labor with my final beginning as a result of she determined to reach breech. The one factor that received me via the again ache and excruciating positions wanted to get her out safely was these warmth packs on my again. They have been superb.
- Chilly nights: As soon as upon a time, not that way back, we lived in a poorly insulated residence with three children, together with a preemie. It received actually chilly at evening, and no quantity of working the heater (regardless of the $400 electrical payments) received it heat in that residence. We might warmth the rice heating pad up every evening and place them in our youngsters’s beds beneath the sheets (however under their ft) to maintain them heat whereas they fell asleep.
- Chilly and Flu: Within the unlucky occasion of a chilly or flu, these are great for conserving heat and easing sore muscle mass. These are the opposite issues we do if sickness strikes to hurry restoration.
- Nice sleep: Years in the past, I began sleeping with an ice pack on my head. Bizarre however true. I discovered that it improved my sleep high quality. A DIY rice pack can even double as an ice pack for higher sleep. Now my husband and I regulate our physique temp at evening with the Chilipad.
- Reusable Hand Heaters: Up to now, I’ve made little miniature warmth pads with felt and fleece. These are nice to make use of as hand heaters (if we ever get chilly sufficient to want them this yr!).
- Sore Muscle tissues: Warmth helps improve blood movement to achy muscle mass for soothing aid after a protracted day. If you have to alternate chilly and warmth on a muscle harm, you may put one rice bag within the freezer and one within the microwave, rotating as wanted.
- Ache aid: DIY heating pads are nice for different kinds of ache aid. They’ll additionally assist with migraines and menstrual cramps. Add a bit lavender important oil for some calming aromatherapy.
The best way to Make a DIY Heating Pad With Rice
You’re going to want rice (in fact), cotton material, and one thing to stitch with. I exploit low cost white rice as a filler since we aren’t consuming it. In case you don’t have a stitching machine, these will be hand sewn, although it received’t be fairly as fast. DIY initiatives like this additionally make nice presents for family and friends at Christmas.
You may make your home made rice heating pad any dimension or form you need, however I make mine right into a 12×6 inch rectangle.
DIY Warmth Pad With Rice
These rice warmth luggage are a simple option to make a pure heating pad. Throw it within the freezer for an ice pack too!
Yield: 1 rice bag
- 12 inch sq. piece of cotton material or no matter form/dimension you favor
- 5 pound bag white rice (won’t all be used)
Fold the fabric in half with proper sides collectively. Begin at one of many quick sides and stitch the lengthy facet and a part of the alternative quick facet, leaving a niche of a number of inches on the final quick facet. That is the place you are going to put the raw rice in.
Flip the material tube inside out in order that the tough ends are hidden.
Fill the tube with rice till it’s about 2/3 full. It’s also possible to add some lavender buds or just a few drops of important oils for a calming expertise.
Fold the remaining facet in in order that the tough ends are hidden and stitch closed.
To make use of: Warmth on excessive within the microwave for 60 seconds or till the specified temperature is reached. The precise time will rely in your microwave.
Easy DIY Rice Heating Pad Variations
There are some nice tutorials on-line for making a very nice trying rice warmth pack. That is certainly one of my favorites. I make nicer ones like that for presents, however for normal dwelling use, these are simpler:
- Use an previous tube sock – Fill the previous sock with rice and stitch or tie the top to make a simple rice sock. A cotton sock is the best choice.
- Use an previous pillowcase – Simply lower the pillowcase in half. Use the facet with the underside seam and fill with a few cups of rice. Sew a line all the best way throughout to create a sealed tube, then repeat with one other couple of cups of rice. Repeat till your complete factor is full and seam the top to create a completed rice pack with a number of tubes filled with rice.
- Create a easy sleeve with a chunk of sq. materials – Fold in half and stitch up two of the edges, leaving a thinner finish open. Fill with rice and stitch the remaining facet to seal.
Ever made your personal heating pad earlier than? Depart us a remark and make sure you share this publish with a buddy!