For the previous week and a half, I attempted out Nutrisense and wore a CGM to watch my glucoses ranges. Sharing a recap of my expertise right here! I used to be gifted the Nutrisense membership for 1 month to strive, and this put up is just not sponsored. My code to strive it out is GINA50 for $50 off <— not affiliate, simply needed to share a reduction with you all.
Hello associates! How’s the week going? Thanks a lot for all the lovely birthday needs for P! We had an incredible day celebrating and capped it off with the requested hibachi dinner. I hope you’re having a beautiful week, too!
For as we speak’s put up, I needed to share a recap of my expertise utilizing Nutrisense. I’ve been inquisitive about this firm for some time, particularly after doing my Inside Tracker bloodwork earlier this 12 months. My fasting glucose ranges had been a little bit on the excessive aspect, and I used to be involved that it might be a deeper downside. I waited it out, and after my good good friend Mia posted about utilizing Nutrisense to watch her blood glucose ranges, I knew I needed to offer it a strive. I reached out to the corporate and was excited after they supplied me a month to strive it out and see how I favored it.
I acquired the product and was SO nervous to place it on (hello, I’m an enormous needle phobe) and waited and waited till Mia mentioned that she’d stroll me by means of the entire course of and connect hers on the identical time. You possibly can watch the video right here and witness the second I nearly began having a panic assault on stay video. (She was like, “See, you’ll be able to see the needle proper there” and I turned white.) I actually needed the info, so I took a deep breath and went for it. I’m actually glad I did, as a result of being able to see my physique’s response to totally different meals was extraordinarily priceless.
(I’m smiling however panicking. Seems, attaching the CGM was NOTHING like I imagined it will be. It was painless and tremendous straightforward.)
What’s Nutrisense and the way does it work?
Nutrisense is a program that gives professional steering in alignment with a Steady Glucose Monitor (CGM). The CGM tracks your blood glucose at 15-minute intervals all through the day, so that you’re in a position to see how sleep patterns, weight-reduction plan, train, stress, and vitamin affect your blood glucose ranges. Constantly elevated glucose could cause irritation and injury within the physique, so it may be useful to see how your physique responds to the components above, significantly the way it recovers. For instance, in case your blood glucose spikes after a carb-heavy or sugary meal, does it keep elevated? Or does it get well inside 2 hours? How excessive is the spike??
Whenever you join Nutrisense, your CGM is delivered to you, together with particulars on the way to connect it. (You possibly can watch me do that right here!) You’ll connect the CGM and protecting patch, obtain the app, and scan your CGM to begin monitoring the info. It normally takes about an hour after including it on your telephone to acknowledge it and begin scanning. (You simply click on “scan” on the app and maintain your telephone up the the CGM the place the digital camera is situated.)
Throughout the app, you’re initially paired with a Registered Dietitian who can assist you interpret the info, make suggestions, and run experiments.
The service begins at $350 for month, and the price goes down relying on the time dedication. (With a 12-month dedication, it’s $199/month.)
The CGM that Nutrisense makes use of is the Freestyle Libre and so they expire in 14 days. (You app will let you already know when your sensor is expiring.)
What kind of information do you obtain and the way do you interpret the info?
Your blood glucose is charted 24/7 and you may see how excessive will get and the way lengthy it takes to stabilize. It may be attention-grabbing to see spikes all through the evening how totally different patterns have an effect on your blood glucose.
I received this from my RD, who messaged me ceaselessly and was at all times obtainable to reply questions: (this was after a smoothie that brought on the next spike than I anticipated)
To assist present extra context, I need to stroll you thru what I’m as I assess a glucose response so let’s take a look at your breakfast on 10/11 for example (chocolate, smoothie, almond milk):
Peak (^ in your meal card). First, we need to take a look at the height glucose worth and intention to keep away from repeated publicity above 140. Your peak glucose worth was 114, which is properly beneath the edge and a traditional peak!
Publicity (squiggly line on meal card). Second, we additionally need a small space below the curve (AUC). So a fast glucose spike to 150 however a return to pre-meal glucose values inside 1 hour of consuming is a small space below the curve, however a gradual glucose climb to 130 and staying elevated for 4 hours can be a a lot bigger space below the curve. We would like glucose to return to pre-meal values inside 2-3 hours after consuming. You possibly can assist monitor your AUC by assessing your meal card AUC values and by checking your commonplace deviation within the analytics. Your AUC was 42.9- I’d say optimally I’m searching for <30, however <50 continues to be okay!
Stability (triangle on meal card). We additionally need to keep away from main “shifts” in glucose. So it might be doable that after a meal you solely went to 130 (which is nice!), however your pre-meal worth was 70, so that might be fairly an enormous swing. You possibly can monitor this by assessing your delta values, as we at all times need to attempt for a delta <30. Your delta was 33, which is nice!!
Restoration (2h rating on meal card). Lastly, we wish glucose to return to pre-meal values inside 2-3 hours after consuming. Your response was 23, which tells me you had been 23 factors from baseline worth on the 2 hour mark.
What I discovered utilizing a Nutrisense CGM:
– Some buffers to forestall a blood sugar spike, particularly whenever you’re having higher-carb meals: take a stroll earlier than or after your meal, have some kind of protein first, reasonable carb consumption, and meal timing. Since your insulin sensitivity is healthier in the course of the day and wanes in direction of the night, chances are you’ll tolerate meals higher if consumed within the afternoon as a substitute of late at evening. That is completely the case for wine with me – if I’ve it late-afternoon, it doesn’t have an effect on my sleep.
– Complete foods-based carbs do not need a big impact on me, particularly after they’re paired with protein. (Berries, apples, bananas, and oranges didn’t trigger a spike, even once I ate them by themselves.) Oatmeal, paleo pancakes, Siete tortillas, and starchy veggies had been the identical. Refined carbs, then again, did trigger a spike. We went to a celebration at a good friend’s home and I had extra sweets and refined carbs than traditional (plus champagne) and my blood glucose was elevated all evening and the next day. It was attention-grabbing to see how one meal can have an effect on your insulin sensitivity for the next day.
– Wine spikes my blood sugar, tequila doesn’t. (An vital lesson haha.) Each get well high quality if I’ve one glass, however two glasses led to elevated ranges the next day. This experiment verified the truth that I don’t do properly with a ton of alcohol, and it’s been a very good reminder to reduce it. (Proper now I’m at one or possibly two drinks per week.)
– Additionally, my physique loves tacos, beans, and rice. 🙂 I had my traditional Wednesday evening Mexican meal with the household and no enormous spike.
– Peace of thoughts. A big proportion of our inhabitants is just not metabolically versatile, which might affect how we deal with stress, accidents, and get well from sickness. I used to be involved that my final blood take a look at confirmed the next fasting glucose, however this was in a position to confirm that it isn’t the case for me usually (my blood take a look at was an outlier) and a very good indicator of my metabolic well being. That was my major concern going into this and it was a welcomed sigh of aid.
– The RD assist was invaluable. I beloved being able to ask questions, and he or she did a wonderful job about instructing me the way to see my patterns, assess my response, and splendid goal ranges.
– The app may be very well-designed, straightforward to navigate and use. I favored utilizing the app and located that whilst a beginner, I figured it out pretty simply.
– I ate a little bit surprisingly once I first put it on. It’s like I used to be afraid to eat something that might spike it, and ultimately I needed to inform myself to recover from it and eat usually after a few days. The info wasn’t going to assist me if I solely ate protein and greens for 14 days. So I had margaritas, tacos, desserts, all the issues I usually eat, so it will present a real image. When you’ve got a historical past with disordered consuming, I wouldn’t suggest utilizing this.
– It was uncomfortable and I ended up taking it off a couple of days early. (I feel it was extra the adhesive than the precise sensor.) I acknowledge the privilege I’ve to have the ability to say, “I don’t need to put on this anymore” and take away it, when I’ve associates on the market who depend on a CGM for survival. Simply needed to place a little bit be aware right here that I see you. <3 I didn’t sleep properly in any respect for the 11 days I had it connected – it was tremendous gentle sleep as a result of I used to be subconsciously apprehensive about rolling onto it and sleeping on it in the course of the evening. Additionally, I used to be a little bit shocked by the catheter when the Pilot eliminated it for me – it’s a teeny plastic tube, nevertheless it was longer than I anticipated lol.
All in all, it was a very priceless expertise and I loved getting access to all the knowledge + studying from my Nutrisense RD.
Am I going to connect the second sensor? I feel I’ll positively do it will definitely however am taking a break for a few weeks. I need to run some extra experiments with meal timing and consuming sure meals by themselves + at the side of different meals.
Any questions on Nutrisense? Is that this one thing you assume you’d do? For those who determine to strive it out, you need to use the code GINA50 for $50 off 🙂